For The IET I managed the selection and specification of a native-XML content database (Mark Logic) to manage compilation of their books, journals and magazines.
For JISC Collections I have managed a number of competitive procurement processes by which publishers bid for funding to provide content for use in Higher and Further Education.
For Building Research Establishment (BRE), the largest research laboratory for the built environment in Europe, I created an online bookstore for selling and disseminating BRE’s own extensive published output, plus an innovative online subscription-based current-awareness bulletin, Insight.
The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew commissioned me to select a CMS package to enable the institution's work to be searched by project, by person, or by team.
For Pendragon Professional Information I interviewed pensions lawyers about their use of legislation: how they accessed it, and what they did with the information once retrieved.
For Electric Word I looked at specific vertical market sectors with high regulatory content (police, care homes, secondary healthcare), to identify problem areas where official and regulatory information is transmitted to practitioners. I identified the decision makers, the people who transmitted the knowledge, and the people who needed the knowledge, before producing sample articles on ‘worry points’ of concern to those in the industry.
For KHL Group, who publish ten construction magazines with a global audience, I created a specification and managed the implementation of the new KHL website (www.khl.com), comprising six sectors, ten magazines, three newsletters, and a product directory, and I continue to work with KHL on the ongoing development of the site.
My clients include:
- Abacus eMedia Ltd
- Building Research Establishment
- CABI Publishing
- Cambridge University Press
- Continuum Publishing Group
- Conwy County Borough Council
- Credo Reference
- CSW Group
- Electric Word PLC
- Encyclopaedia Britannica UK Ltd
- Global Water Information
- GMB Publishing
- Green Star Media
- Henley Management College
- The Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- JISC Collections Ltd
- KHL Group
- Office Products International
- Oxford Brookes University
- Pendragon Professional Information Ltd
- Reading Room Ltd
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
- Watco Group UK Ltd
My consulting assignments vary widely. I have been asked by information owners and publishers to investigate all kinds of publishing-related questions, including:
- Business plan for an information company
- Free versus paid content: where to draw the line
- How to buy a Mark Logic system without paying the earth
- How to combine print and digital strategy
- Benefits and drawbacks of open-source systems
- Advice on content structure
- Content licensing recommendations
- Information product development
- Reference publication compilation
- Software product roadmap management
- Localization: publishing for international markets